Wakefern Food Corp. – Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice describes the information collection, use, and sharing practices of Wakefern Food Corp. (“Wakefern”, “we”, “us”, “our”) and its member sites when you interact with our websites (the “Website”), our mobile applications (the “App”) or any other digital products on which this Privacy Notice appears (the “Services”).
For ease of understanding all the categories of data we collect, please refer to the following definitions of categories of personal information we collect:
- Personal Identifiers: Information used to identify you, such as, your first and last name, telephone number, physical address, email address, date of birth, and any demographic information.
- Financial Information: Information related to your payment methods, such as, your credit card and debit card information and billing address.
- Account Information: Information related to your account, such as, your Username, password, purchase history, digital coupon usage, saved recipes, saved items, and delivery preferences.
- Electronic Network Activity Information: Information related to your electronic network activity, such as your browsing history, information about how you use our Websites and Apps, information about your device, and information related to our live-chat feature, Ava.
- Geolocation Information: Information about your location of your device, such as information derived from your device (e.g. based on browser or device’s IP address). We may also use location-based technology in our stores to collect information about the presence of your device if your device settings allow for this.
- Visual Information: Information related to your visual information through the use of our closed-circuit video surveillance cameras (“CCTV”) which are installed at our stores to monitor building security and assist in crime prevention, detection, and investigation and to ensure the safety of our associates and customers.
- Biometric Information: Information based on an individual’s biometric identifier, such face geometry, used to identify an individual.
- Sensitive Personal Information: Information used to identify you, but is treated with a heightened degree of sensitivity, such as gender, race or ethnic origin, physical or mental health conditions or diagnoses, religious or philosophical beliefs, personal data collected from a known child, or precise geolocation information.
- Health Information: Information related to your physical and mental health, such as, weight, body mass index, medical history, family medical history, physical or mental health conditions or diagnoses, current medication list, macronutrient and micronutrient information, dietary restrictions, biochemical data, and available laboratory results.
- Inferences: Inferences drawn from the other information described above.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect personal information, which is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to you, when you:
- Become a Price Plus Club Member. If you sign up to become a Price Plus Club Member, you provide us, your personal identifiers. Once we receive this information, we will assign you a unique Price Plus Club card number which allows you to access potential discounts on products.
- Create an online account. If you create an online account, you provide us with your personal identifiers, we will ask you to create a username and password and ask you to identify your “Home Store”. If you choose, you may put your State preference. Note, we will automatically link your existing Price Plus Card number to your newly created online account and your previous in-store purchase history. An account is necessary to access online shopping, clip digital coupons, and perform other online tasks. We use this information to communicate with you about products, events, and promotions, send you special offers and coupons, process your payment, send you notices about product recalls, and manage your account.
- Place an order online. Your online account will be used to place a grocery order through the Website or the App, we automatically link your online account information to your Price Plus Club Member information. If you choose, you are able to save your financial information to your account. Your account information will also be stored. We use this information to process your order and payment, as well as send you updates regarding your order. In order to provide you with efficient in-store grocery pick-up, we automatically collect your sensitive personal information to alert our associates to your estimated time of arrival. You can manage this by updating the settings on your mobile telephone.
- Shop at one of our stores. Our stores are equipped with CCTV footage that will automatically capture your visual information. Some of our stores are equipped with technology that captures your biometric information through the use of our CCTV cameras. We capture this information to monitor building security and assist in crime prevention, detection, and investigation and to ensure the safety of our associates and customers.
- Nutrition Counseling. We may provide nutritional wellness counseling to our customers who want to make healthier choices when it comes to food. If you choose to participate, you provide us with your personal identifiers, account information, sensitive personal information, and health information. Our nutritional counselors use this information to provide you with product recommendations, recipes and suggested meal plans to help you meet your goals. Some of our stores provide more in depth nutrition counseling and may have customers sign a notice and consent form detailing nutritional wellness counseling program. Please note, this service is not a medical group or a health care provider.
- Contact us. When you contact us, either by sending us an email or calling our customer service line, you provide your personal identifiers, your account information if applicable, and any other information you wish to provide. We use this personal information to respond to your questions or inquiries, troubleshoot where necessary, and address any issues you have. If you use our online virtual agent, Ava, we will collect from you the above-referenced information. We will collect from you automatically, your internet or other electronic network activity information. We use this to ensure you are not a bot, to respond to your inquiry, and to allow you to interact with Ava.
- Find a Store. If you use this feature on our website, you provide to us, your personal identifiers. We use this to provide you with the closest store to the location you provide.
- Fan Pages. Because our Fan Pages are publicly accessible, when you use them to interact with other users, for example by posting, leaving comments or liking or sharing posts, any personal information that you post in them can be viewed by others or used by them as they see fit. The content you post on our Fan Pages or other public areas of social networking websites can be deleted in the same way as other content that you have created.
- Community Management. If you reach out to our Fan pages with a question or comment, we may collect from you, your comments and contact information in order to rectify the issue or provide guidance.
- Sweepstakes. When you participate in sweepstakes hosted on our Fan Pages, we collect from you your personal identifiers. We use this information to notify you for prize fulfillment.
- Events and Photos. At events for which you have registered, photos and video recordings may be made (possibly by a photographer commissioned by us), in which you may also be shown. If you are the central subject of a recording, the photographer will ask you before the recording/taking the photo whether you agree and consent.
- Aggregate data. We aggregate the data we collect for benchmarking purposes and for internal analytics.
- Interact with the Services. In addition to the personal information you provide directly to us, we also collect information from you automatically as you use our Services via “cookies” and similar tracking technologies (including through the use of pixel tags). This includes the following internet or other electronic network activity information.
We use essential, performance, marketing, and analytics cookies to collect your usage, device, and location information when you interact with the Services. We use this information to: (i) track you within the Services; (ii) enhance user experience; (iii) conduct analytics to improve the Services; (iv) prevent fraudulent use of the Services; (v) diagnose and repair Services errors, and, in cases of abuse, track and mitigate the abuse; and (vi) market to you more effectively across different web pages and social media platforms based on your browsing habits and history. Third party marketing and analytics cookies may be considered a sale under the Connecticut Data Privacy Act (“CTDPA”). If you are a Connecticut resident and wish to opt out, please visit by completing our PriceRite webform, emailing us at [email protected], or by contacting us toll-free at 1-800-746-7748.
Particular third-party cookies to note on our Website include: Google Analytics, Double Click, and Facebook Pixel.
- Facebook Pixel. We use Facebook Pixel to customize our advertising and to serve you ads on your social media based on your browsing behavior. This allows your behavior to be tracked after you have been redirected to our websites and mobile applications by clicking on the Facebook ad. Facebook Pixel stores a cookie on your device to enable us to measure the effectiveness of Facebook ads for statistical and market research purposes. We do not have access to the information collected through Facebook Pixel. However, the information collected via the Facebook Pixel is also stored and processed by Facebook. Facebook may link this information to your Facebook account and also use it for its own promotional purposes in accordance with Facebook's Data Usage Policy. Facebook Pixel also allows Facebook and its partners to show you advertisements on and outside of Facebook. You can opt out of displaying Facebook ads and sharing by visiting your Facebook Ad Settings, and you can clear and control the information that third parties share with Facebook in your Off-Facebook Activity page. If you do not have a Facebook account, you can opt out of Facebook ads through the Digital Advertising Alliance. You can also follow the instructions in the “Your Information Choices” section.
- Google AdWords. We use Google Ads to deliver advertisements to you and to track whether you have interacted with an advertisement that we have placed elsewhere on the internet. Google Ads stores a conversion-tracking cookie on your device when you click on our advertisement. The information obtained through the cookie is used to generate statistics and allows us to see the total number of users who clicked on our advertisements. We also use Google Ads to present to users of our websites and mobile applications advertisements across the internet and within the Google advertising network based on their visits to our websites and mobile applications. For more information, please review Google’s Privacy Notice. To opt out of this sharing and targeted advertising by Google, you can go to Google’s ad settings. You can also follow the instructions in the “Your Information Choices” section.
Wakefern will also use the personal information we collect as described in this section to comply with the law, to efficiently maintain our business, and for other limited circumstances as described in HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
A. General Sharing
Wakefern may share personal information in the following instances:
- Within Wakefern. We may share your personal information among our affiliated entities for the legitimate business purposes of efficiently and effectively providing the Services. Access to your personal information is limited to those on a need-to-know basis.
- With Service Providers. We share your personal information with our service providers who help us provide you our Services. These service providers include our marketing and advertising providers, IT/webhosting providers, e-commerce providers, customer service providers, quality assurance providers, market analytical providers, delivery/shipping providers, cloud storage provider, and our payment processing providers.
- In the event of a corporate reorganization. In the event that we enter into, or intend to enter into, a transaction that alters the structure of our business, such as a reorganization, merger, acquisition, sale, joint venture, assignment, consolidation, transfer, change of control, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock, we would share personal information with third parties, including the buyer or target (and their agents and advisors) for the purpose of facilitating and completing the transaction. We will also share personal information with third parties if we undergo bankruptcy or liquidation, in the course of such proceedings.
- With Third Parties. We may need to disclose your personal information to third parties, such as legal advisors, law enforcement agencies, or governmental/regulatory bodies to protect our legal interests and other rights, protect against fraud or other illegal activities, prevent harm, for risk management purposes, and to comply with our legal obligations.
- For legal purposes. We share your personal information where we are legally required to do so, such as in response to court orders, law enforcement or legal process, including for national security purposes; to establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights, as required to enforce our terms of service or other contracts; to defend against legal claims or demands; to detect, investigate, prevent, or take action against illegal activities, fraud, or situations involving potential threats to the rights, property, or personal safety of any person; or to comply with the requirements of any applicable law.
B. Sale of Personal Information.
- Wakefern uses certain analytics and advertising cookies on its websites and mobile applications. These cookies collect your internet or other electronic network activity information and share it with the data analytics and advertising partners that provide them. This use of your personal information may be considered a sale under the CTDPA. If you are a Connecticut resident and wish to opt out of the use of these cookies, please follow the instructions below.
- Wakefern has shared your personal identifiers and account information with our advertising and marketing partners to engage in lookalike advertising and targeted advertising. This use of your personal information may be considered a sale under the CTDPA. If you are a Connecticut resident and wish to opt out of this sharing, please follow the instructions.
YOUR INFORMATION CHOICES
You have the following choices with respect to your personal information:
- Correct or View Your Information. You may access your account to correct or view certain personal information you have provided to us and which is associated with your account.
- Opt Out of Google Analytics. To prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics, you can download the Google Analytics opt-out browser, which can be accessed here.
- Opt Out of Advertising Cookies. All session cookies are temporary and expire after you close your web browser. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your web browser’s directions. To find out how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or device, and how to reject and delete the cookies, please visit: https://www.aboutcookies.org Please note that each web browser is different. To find information relating to your browser, visit the browser developer’s website and mobile application. If you reset your web browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent, some features of our website may not function properly. If you choose to opt out, we will place an "opt-out cookie" on your device. The "opt-out cookie" is browser specific and device specific and only lasts until cookies are cleared from your browser or device. The opt-out cookie will not work for essential cookies. If the cookie is removed or deleted, if you upgrade your browser or if you visit us from a different computer, you will need to return and update your preferences. By clicking on the “Opt-Out” links below, you will be directed to the respective third-party website where your computer will be scanned to determine who maintains cookies on you. At that time, you can either choose to opt out of all targeted advertising or you can choose to opt out of targeted advertising by selecting individual companies who maintain a cookie on your machine.
- Association of National Advertisers opt-out registration: https://dmachoice.thedma.org/
- Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) Opt-Out: https://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
- Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) Opt-Out: https://optout.aboutads.info
- European Union (EU) /European Economic Area (EEA) Opt-Out: http://www.youronlinechoices.eu
- Opt Out of Marketing Communications. You may opt out of receiving marketing emails from us by clicking the “unsubscribe” link provided at the bottom of each email we send. Please note that we will continue to send you notifications necessary to the Services.
- Opt Out of SMS Messages. You may opt out of receiving marketing SMS Messages from us by responding ‘STOP’ upon receiving a SMS message. Please note, we may still continue to send you notifications necessary to the Services.
- Opt Out of Push Notifications. You may opt out of receiving marketing push notifications from us by updating the Settings on your mobile phone. Please note, we may still continue to send you notifications necessary to the Services.
RIGHTS OF CONNECTICUT RESIDENTS
The Connecticut Data Privacy Act (“CTDPA”) entitles Connecticut residents to certain rights. To the extent the CTDPA applies to our processing of your personal information, you are entitled to the following rights:
- Right to Access/Know. You have the right to request what personal information we have collected, used, disclosed, and sold about you, subject to certain exceptions. For example, if providing you this right reveals any trade secrets of Wakefern, we may deny this request. To exercise your right to access your personal information, you may submit a request by completing our PriceRite webform emailing us at [email protected], or by contacting us toll-free at 1-800-746-7748. You have the right to exercise this right once every 12 months.
- Right to Deletion. You have the right to request the deletion of your personal information that we collect or maintain, subject to certain exceptions. For example, if we are required by law to retain the information that you are asking be deleted, we would not be able to delete the information until we are legally permitted to delete it. To exercise your right to delete your personal information, you may submit a request by completing our Price Rite webform, emailing us at [email protected], or by contacting us toll-free at 1-800-746-7748.
- Right to Opt Out. You have the right to opt out of the processing of your personal data for the purposes of (i) target advertising; (ii) profiling through solely automated decision making; and (iii) the sale of your personal data to third parties. Wakefern does not have actual knowledge that it sells or shares personal information of minors under the age of sixteen (16) years. To exercise your right to opt out of the sale or sharing of your personal information, you may submit a request by completing our Price Rite webform, emailing us at [email protected], or by contacting us toll-free at 1-800-746-7748.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. You have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment if and when you exercise your rights to access, delete, opt out, or correct your personal information under the CTPDA.
- Right to Correct: You have the right to correct inaccurate personal information that we collect or maintain.
- Right to Appeal. You have the right to appeal our refusal to take action on your request to exercise your other rights. In order to request an appeal to our refusal please email us at [email protected], subject line: “Appeal My Consumer Request.” We will review the appeal and notify you of our response. If we still refuse to take action on your request, you have the right to file a complaint with the Connecticut Attorney General. Click here, to submit a complaint.
For requests submitted via telephone, you must provide us with sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected the personal information and describe your request with sufficient detail to allow us to properly evaluate and respond to it. This information includes your name, city, zip code, Price Plus Card Account Number (if known), and your preferred method of contact (email or mail). In doing so, we will take steps to verify your request by matching information provided by you with the information we have in our records. If we are not able to verify your identity for access and deletion requests with the information provided, we may ask you for additional pieces of information.
Only you, or a person that you authorize to act on your behalf may make a request related to your personal information. If you are an authorized agent making a request on behalf of another individual, you must provide us with signed documentation that you are authorized to act on behalf of that individual. Please email us the proper documentation to [email protected], subject line: CTDPA Authorized Agent Documentation. In the email, please provide us with the necessary Authorized Agent documentation, such documentation stating you are an individual’s power of attorney and a copy of the rights request submitted. If we are unable to fulfill your consumer rights request, you have the right to appeal our decision. To exercise this right, please email [email protected] and provide the following information: a copy of your original request, a detailed explanation on why we should reconsider our decision, documentation supporting your appeal, and, if necessary, updated contact information.
DO NOT TRACK
We do not respond to Do Not Track requests. Do Not Track is a preference you can set in your web browser to inform websites and mobile applications that you do not want to be tracked. You can enable or disable Do Not Track by visiting the Preferences or Settings page of your web browser.
We implement and maintain reasonable security measures, such as access controls and encryption, to protect the personal information that we collect and maintain from unauthorized access, destruction, use, modification, or disclosure. However, no security measure or modality of data transmission is 100% secure, and we are unable to guarantee the absolute security of the personal information we have collected from you.
The Services are not intended for individuals under the age of sixteen (16) years old. If we learn that we have collected or received personal information from individuals under the age of sixteen (16) we will delete the personal information. If you believe we have personal information on individuals under the age of sixteen (16), please contact us at the contact information provided below.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We may amend this Privacy Notice in our sole discretion at any time. If we do, we will post the changes to this page, and will indicate the date the changes go into effect. We encourage you to review our Privacy Notice to stay informed. If we make changes that materially affect your privacy rights, we will notify you by prominent posting on the Website and/or via email, and obtain your consent, if required.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice, please contact us at [email protected] or call us at 1-800-Shoprite.